Alex Rees and André Tartar: Their Union Was No Accident – New York Times

Supported by

Alex Rhodri Rees and André Fonseca Tartar were married Saturday by Fátima Nóbrega, a notary, at the Quinta da Arriaga, a manor house in Sintra, Portugal.
Mr. Rees (left), 30, is based in London and works for Hearst as the popular culture editor for, where he helps oversee entertainment and celebrity coverage. He graduated from the London College of Fashion and is a son of Theresa V. Rees and Anthony T. Rees of Chandler’s Ford, England.
Mr. Tartar, 28, is an editor for Bloomberg News, based in London, collecting economic data and surveying economists. He graduated from Carnegie Mellon and is the son of Dr. Irene M. Fonseca of Pittsburgh and Dr. Luc C. Tartar of La Voulte-sur-Rhône, France, and the stepson of Dr. Gerald P. Schatten and of Laurence Fouchier-Tartar.
Mr. Rees and Mr. Tartar, who each received a master’s degree in magazine writing from New York University, first caught sight of each other as part of an N.Y.U. class walking tour of Lower Manhattan in fall 2009. Mr. Tartar recalled being immediately taken with the tall, snappily dressed Mr. Rees with his British accent.
For his part, Mr. Rees thought his future husband looked like “the prototypical college bro,” neither gay nor especially interesting.
But like any good journalist, Mr. Tartar was tenacious. He bounded along next to Mr. Rees for 40 blocks or so, talking his ear off. When they found themselves in the same journalism law class, Mr. Tartar never bought the class textbook. So he would turn up, uninvited, at Mr. Rees’s East Village apartment to study.
“I liked what I saw, and I wasn’t letting go,” Mr. Tartar explained.
Mr. Rees said, “He just kept popping up.”
Mr. Tartar popped up again at a networking event later that semester, when Mr. Rees was talking to an employer about a possible internship. In his excitement, Mr. Tartar spilled a glass of wine into the recruiter’s lap.
Mr. Rees didn’t get the internship, but the couple did share their first kiss on the way home.
They began dating, but casually. Casually, that is, until Mr. Tartar turned up at Mr. Rees’s apartment, clammy and disheveled, saying he had pneumonia. Mr. Rees nursed him back to health.
Mr. Tartar said that in the week he was sick, “We skipped past a couple of the normal awkward stages of dating.”
When it came to proposing, in November 2013, Mr. Tartar’s mishap was in proportion to the significance of the occasion.
The couple was in Wales for a 10-day vacation, and Mr. Tartar, with a ring hidden in his pocket, was driving Mr. Rees’s parents’ car to a campsite. Around dusk one day, pouring rain and an oncoming speeding truck caused him to drive the car straight into a crumbling wall. Neither man was hurt, but both were shaken up, and the car was a total loss.
Five days into the vacation, the romantic mood had returned sufficiently for Mr. Tartar to propose, surrounded by candles.
Less than a month before the wedding, Mr. Tartar’s engagement ring (which was also supposed to serve as a wedding band) slipped from his finger in a London bar, never to be seen again.
“I like to think of it as an in-joke,” Mr. Tartar said ruefully of his accident-prone track record.
Despite the mishaps, Mr. Rees has never been nervous about each new milestone for the couple, who plan to move to New York after the wedding.“They’re big decisions,” he said, “but with André they’ve always been easy ones.”