Military and veterans – Michigan (.gov)

Information and statistics related to upcoming elections.
State primary results and general election race results.
The dates and deadlines you need to know when running for office. Find the requirements for filing for office and filing campaign finance statements.

Election Security in Michigan
Elections administration, including the Election Inspector's Guide; absentee voting; and the Michigan Qualified Voter File.
Office of the Great Seal
Find information about the Board of State Canvassers and its meeting notices.

Check here for links to information about REAL ID.

Title and registration requirements; special titles; name changes; address changes; license plate fees; insurance requirements; new Michigan residents; lost titles; lost license plates; and deceased vehicle owners.

Disability parking and placard information, disability parking, disability plate, disabled parking permit, and wheelchair.
Recreational vehicles such as snowmobiles, watercraft, ORVs, and trailers.

The International Registration Plan (IRP) – a program for registering and licensing of commercial vehicles in interstate operations among member jurisdictions (states or provinces).
The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) online service for customers filing financial statements and liens through the Secretary of State.

Operating requirements for agricultural vehicles on public roads – lighting, slow-moving vehicle emblems, and more.


The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features has to offer. 
Active members of the armed services, their dependents, and veterans are eligible for special services and credentials. Those serving our country and stationed outside Michigan should be able to participate fully in our democracy without significant barriers or obstacles.
Servicemembers and dependents out of state
Accessibility and accommodations
If you are eligible to vote in Michigan and are temporarily out of the state but still within the U.S., you may register to vote online at You will need to provide your Michigan license or ID number to register online.
If you are eligible to vote in Michigan and are currently overseas:
Federal voting assistance
To update your voter registration:
Federal voting assistance
If you are eligible to vote in Michigan and are temporarily out of the state but still within the U.S., you may request an absent voter ballot or accessible voter ballot online or by mail to your local clerk.
Once your request is received by the local clerk, your signature on the request will be checked against your voter registration record before a ballot is issued.
After receiving your absent voter ballot, you have until 8 p.m. on Election Day to return it to the clerk’s office. To provide adequate mailing time, return your ballot by mail at least 15 days before Election Day. Your ballot won’t be counted unless your signature is on the return envelope and matches your signature on file. If you received assistance voting the ballot, then the signature of the person who helped you must also be on the return envelope.
If you are eligible to vote in Michigan and are currently overseas:
Visit to:
Federal voting assistance
Michigan is proud to recognize its residents who are serving or are veterans of the U.S. military. A variety of plates are available to enlisted service members, their families, and veterans.
The fee is $5. If you are purchasing an original plate or replacing an existing plate when renewing, other registration fees may apply. You may also personalize your veteran plate for an additional fee.
Military and veteran plates can be used on passenger cars, pickup trucks, vans, and motor homes. Trailers and vehicles used commercially aren’t eligible. A limited number of the veteran plates are available for motorcycles.
Military and veteran license plate options
Military veterans who served in any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces and have an honorable or under honorable conditions (general) discharge may have a veteran designation printed on their Michigan driver’s license or ID. The designation is added at no additional charge when you apply for an original license or ID or when you renew it. If added at another time, correction fees will apply.
The veteran designation provides an easy and optional way to show your veteran status to receive discounts from businesses.
Qualifying services include the U.S. Air Force, Air Force National Guard, Army, Army National Guard, Coast Guard, Marine Corps and Navy, as well as their Reserve components.
You will need to complete the application and submit acceptable documentation, that indicates the character of discharge, such as:
Veteran Designation Application
If you’re traveling or temporarily moving out of state:
If you’re establishing residency outside of Michigan:
Go to Online Services
If you are serving in the military and will turn 21 while stationed outside Michigan, you can request to add a 180-day extension to your driver’s license through your online Secretary of State account.
To request a 180-day extension permit online, you will need your:
Upon completing the extension request, select the prompt to print your permit directly from your device.
Alternatively, you can email to request a renewal application if you won’t be returning to Michigan within 180 days of your 21st birthday. Please note:
Go to Online Services
Contact your local clerk as soon as possible. Clerk information can be located at
If it is determined there isn’t enough time to receive and send back your ballot before the election, use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB) from the Federal Voting Assistance website.
Go to
Request your military records online:
You can also request a copy by calling the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency (MVAA) at 800-MICH-VET (642-4838) or in writing by mail to the National Personnel Records Center.
No, it is optional to add the veteran designation to your license or ID. There is no fee to do so if done at the time you apply for an original license or ID or when you renew it. If added at another time, correction fees will apply.
In 1986, the federal government passed the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) providing special registration and absentee voting provisions for military and overseas civilians. In addition, UOCAVA authorized the use of the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) was created by the Department of Defense to oversee UOCAVA. In 2009, the federal Military and Overseas Empowerment Act (MOVE Act) and corresponding state legislation was passed expanding UOCAVA by further allowing a UOCAVA voter to submit one AV application for a calendar year, ballot(s) to be sent to the UOCAVA voter via email or fax, establishing a 45-day absent voter ballot delivery requirement, and expanding the use of the FWAB. In 2012, the Michigan Legislature passed PA 279 further expanding the use of the FWAB to local and state offices.
Michigan Department of State
Internal Services Section
888-SOS-MICH (767-6424)
Follow us
Online services
Find a self-service station
Schedule an office visit
Contact the department
Report fraud
Forms and publications
MDOS jobs
العربية     Español     普通话
Language services