Mobile homes – Michigan (.gov)

Information and statistics related to upcoming elections.
State primary results and general election race results.
The dates and deadlines you need to know when running for office. Find the requirements for filing for office and filing campaign finance statements.

Election Security in Michigan
Elections administration, including the Election Inspector's Guide; absentee voting; and the Michigan Qualified Voter File.
Office of the Great Seal
Find information about the Board of State Canvassers and its meeting notices.

Check here for links to information about REAL ID.

Title and registration requirements; special titles; name changes; address changes; license plate fees; insurance requirements; new Michigan residents; lost titles; lost license plates; and deceased vehicle owners.

Disability parking and placard information, disability parking, disability plate, disabled parking permit, and wheelchair.
Recreational vehicles such as snowmobiles, watercraft, ORVs, and trailers.

The International Registration Plan (IRP) – a program for registering and licensing of commercial vehicles in interstate operations among member jurisdictions (states or provinces).
The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) online service for customers filing financial statements and liens through the Secretary of State.

Operating requirements for agricultural vehicles on public roads – lighting, slow-moving vehicle emblems, and more.


The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features has to offer. 
Mobile homes are titled in Michigan. Up until 1978, mobile homes were titled as a “trailer coach.” Since 1978, they are titled as mobile homes. The title is identified as a “Certificate of Manufactured Home Ownership” or “Certificate of Mobile Home Title.” These documents look like a vehicle title and serve the same purpose.
When a person buys a mobile home from a dealer, the dealer applies for the purchaser’s new mobile home title using the Dealer Application for Certificate of Mobile Home Ownership. When an owner sells their mobile home, they assign the title to the new owner. The new owner brings the assigned title to a Secretary of State office to have it transferred into their name. An S-110L Application for Certificate of Manufactured Home Ownership is processed at the branch office. The fee for an original or transferred mobile home title is $90.

If your mobile home title is lost, you may replace it by processing a duplicate title application at a Secretary of State office. When there is joint ownership on a title, only one of the owners must appear and sign the duplicate title application. An Appointment of Agent form from the co-owner is not required.

Duplicate titles may also be ordered through our Online Services. They can only be issued to the owner listed on the title document.

Whether you apply for a duplicate title at a branch office or online, the cost is $15. It will be mailed within 14 days. Same-day title service is not available for mobile home titles.
Mobile home park owners and operators often ask how they can obtain a title for a mobile home that has been abandoned in their park by the mobile home owner.

There are two methods by which the park owner can title the mobile home:

The mobile home owner can assign their mobile home title to the mobile home park. This is the easiest method, although usually the owner who abandoned the mobile home cannot be contacted for an assigned title.

If assignment of the title by the owner is not possible, the presentation of a court order identifying the mobile home by year, make, and manufacturer’s serial number and awarding ownership of the home to the park can be used. This requires the park owner to go to court to have the abandoned mobile home awarded to the mobile home park. Please note, the court order must assign ownership of the mobile home/manufactured housing into your name and indicate termination of a previous lien and if applicable, placement of new lienholder information. The court order serves in place of an assigned title.

The Department of State has been advised that several circuit courts across the state are not familiar with accepting petitions for the awarding of mobile home ownership. Due to the lack of familiarity amongst some courts, the Michigan Department of State is providing the following information when filing a petition with the court. This information is provided for informational purposes only and should not be interpreted as legal advice.

It has been reported to the department that some attorneys have had success when the mobile home is being conveyed along with the underlying real property by filing a quiet title action type in which the following information is provided in the order: Name of the owner as determined by the court, the vehicle identification number (VIN) or serial number of the mobile home, and a lienholder or lack thereof.

Alternatively, the court may choose to accept a filing petition to award ownership of a vehicle. These court orders must contain the above information as well: Name of the owner as determined by the court, the vehicle identification number (VIN) or serial number of the mobile home, and a lienholder or lack thereof.

PLEASE NOTE: The Department of State should not be named as a defendant in any case filing as this may delay the title issuance process. In fact, courts should not order the Michigan Department of State to issue a mobile home title, they should indicate the proper owner of the mobile home, in addition to the information noted above. Upon receipt of the court order, the Michigan Department will be able to issue a mobile home title when accompanied by the application for title, and title fee.
Follow us
Online services
Find a self-service station
Schedule an office visit
Contact the department
Report fraud
Forms and publications
MDOS jobs
العربية     Español     普通话
Language services