Title transfer and vehicle registration – Michigan (.gov)

Information and statistics related to upcoming elections.
State primary results and general election race results.
The dates and deadlines you need to know when running for office. Find the requirements for filing for office and filing campaign finance statements.

Election Security in Michigan
Elections administration, including the Election Inspector's Guide; absentee voting; and the Michigan Qualified Voter File.
Office of the Great Seal
Find information about the Board of State Canvassers and its meeting notices.

Check here for links to information about REAL ID.

Title and registration requirements; special titles; name changes; address changes; license plate fees; insurance requirements; new Michigan residents; lost titles; lost license plates; and deceased vehicle owners.

Disability parking and placard information, disability parking, disability plate, disabled parking permit, and wheelchair.
Recreational vehicles such as snowmobiles, watercraft, ORVs, and trailers.

The International Registration Plan (IRP) – a program for registering and licensing of commercial vehicles in interstate operations among member jurisdictions (states or provinces).
The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) online service for customers filing financial statements and liens through the Secretary of State.

Operating requirements for agricultural vehicles on public roads – lighting, slow-moving vehicle emblems, and more.


The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer. 
Unavailable for this transaction
Unavailable button
Unavailable for this transaction
Unavailable button
Unavailable for this transaction
Unavailable button
Complete your business in an average of 20 minutes
Schedule an office visit
Present the original title (photocopies or titles that have been modified, such as crossing out a name, cannot be accepted) with:
Schedule an office visit
Appointment of Agent form
Odometer Mileage Statement
A $15 late fee will be charged if the title isn’t transferred within 15 days of the sale.
Secretary of State offices accept payment by cash, check, money order, or credit or debit card (additional fees apply).
Registration fee calculator
Plate transfer
You must provide proof of a valid Michigan No-Fault insurance policy to register your vehicle in Michigan.
Most dealerships will handle the title transfer and vehicle registration process for you.
Yes but only if you drive the vehicle directly to the first place of storage (usually your home) within three days of the sale. You must have the properly assigned title and proof of insurance with you as temporary registration. At the time of the sale, remove the seller’s plate from the vehicle and return it to them.
Anyone whose name will be listed as an owner on the title must be present. It is advised that the seller also accompany the buyer to transfer the title. Those who cannot visit a Secretary of State office to transfer the vehicle title may appoint a designated agent or power of attorney to attend the office visit and sign the title on their behalf.
Appointment of Agent form
Title transfer and registration fees are set by state law and cannot be amended without legislative action.
You need to transfer the title within 15 days of purchasing the vehicle. A $15 late fee is charged if you don’t transfer the title in time.
If possible, the seller should join you at a Secretary of State office to complete the title transfer. Dealerships typically manage title transfers for vehicles purchased through the dealership.
Under Michigan law, title transfers between the following relatives aren’t subject to sales tax:
No other relationships are tax exempt.
If the deceased owner’s estate isn’t probated, the surviving spouse or legal next-of-kin may transfer the vehicle into their name by presenting the following at a Secretary of State office:
If the estate is being probated, the personal representative appointed by Probate Court must assign the title to the surviving spouse. The spouse presents the assigned title and a copy of the personal representative’s Letter of Authority document to apply for a title in their name at a Secretary of State office.
If the current title is in both your name and the deceased’s name with the legend “Full Rights To Survivor” printed on it, then all that is needed to transfer the vehicle into just your name is the title and a copy of the death certificate.
Certification from the Heir to a Vehicle form
A title with a lien on it may be transferred only if the loan is paid off and a statement or letter of termination is provided by the lienholder, or if a letter of authorization from the lienholder approving the transfer is submitted with the title application.
Yes. A person who cannot prove they sold their vehicle as required by Section 257.240 is responsible for a civil infraction and subject to a civil fine of $15. The person is also presumed to be the last titled owner and is liable for towing fees and daily storage fees if the vehicle is abandoned.
More FAQs
Follow us
Online services
Find a self-service station
Schedule an office visit
Contact the department
Report fraud
Forms and publications
MDOS jobs
العربية     Español     普通话
Language services